Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications
Director, Public Relations & Social Media
Sr. Communications Specialist,
CHARLESTON, S.C., Jan. 26, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- BJ's Wholesale Club today announced that it funded all classroom projects listed by teachers in Charleston, Summerville and neighboring communities through crowd-funding website DonorsChoose.org. The $100,000 donation from the BJ's Charitable Foundation fulfilled 141 teacher-led projects, benefiting 846 students in 65 local schools.
"At BJ's, our commitment to our members extends far beyond the outstanding value and quality found at our Clubs," said Kirk Saville, senior vice president, corporate communications, BJ's Wholesale Club. "We're pleased to make this donation to celebrate our entrance to the Summerville community, and we're thrilled to be able to help enrich learning in Lowcountry classrooms through our partnership with DonorsChoose.org."
BJ's donation supports a diverse variety of projects in Summerville, Charleston, North Charleston and the surrounding area. Projects funded include:
- Supplies to increase digital reading experiences at home and to print students' published writing and portfolio projects
- Basic essentials such as new backpacks to help students carry their supplies to and from school each day
- Outdoor musical instruments that will allow students to use creative thinking abilities and fine motor skills to produce different types of music during recess and academic arts time
"We are so grateful for the support of BJ's Wholesale Club as they celebrate the opening of their new Summerville location," said Rianne Roberts, partnerships manager at DonorsChoose.org. "Their support will bring learning to life for so many students in the communities of Summerville and Charleston."
As part of its Adopt-a-School program and collaboration with DonorsChoose.org, BJ's has contributed more than $2 million to help equip teachers at over 2,500 public and charter elementary schools with the resources necessary to create innovative lesson plans and meet curriculum objectives.
The BJ's Wholesale Club is scheduled to open in Spring 2017, and will be located at the intersection of Interstate 26 and North Main Street, Summerville's primary retail corridor. The Club will be the first in South Carolina, expanding BJ's footprint to 16 states and marking club #215 for the company. The Club will also feature a BJ's Gas® station, saving Members even more.
BJ's biggest advantage is fresh food – produce, dairy, meat and deli.
A BJ's Membership is filled with added convenience.
- BJ's offers the best value of any supermarket or club.
- BJ's everyday prices on the key items that families buy most often are significantly better value than supermarkets, saving families up to 25 percent or more.
- The company is the only major wholesale club that accepts manufacturers' coupons, offering families another great way to save.
- Its own brands, Berkley Jensen and Wellsley Farms, let families save without sacrificing quality or fun.
- Members buy 65 percent more fresh food from BJ's than from other clubs.
- BJ's is the only major wholesale club to offer a full-service deli with premium meats and cheeses.
- Members are able to choose fresh meats cut to their specifications. BJ's butchers will recut and repackage at no charge.
- BJ's offers the most payment options of any major wholesale club.
- Members are able to research, shop and install electronics with help from BJ's Tech Advisors.
- Its new Pick Up & Pay® program allows shoppers to stock up by reserving items online and then picking up in-club.
- Members can save time and money by filling up their tanks at BJ's. The company's gas prices are among the lowest around.
Based on the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer surveys on household spending, the BJ's Wholesale Club could save area shoppers more than $40 million a year.
Shoppers can learn more about BJ's Wholesale Club by going to www.bjs.com.
Towns funded include: Charleston, Cross, Dorchester, Goose Creek, Hanahan, Huger, Johns Island, Ladson, Mt. Pleasant, North Charleston, St. George and Summerville.
About BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
Headquartered in Westborough, Massachusetts, BJ's is the leading operator of membership warehouse clubs in the Eastern United States. The company currently operates 214 clubs and 130 BJ's Gas® locations in 15 states.
BJ's provides a one-stop shopping destination filled with top-quality, leading brands, including its exclusive Wellsley Farms and Berkley Jensen brands, along with USDA Choice meats, premium produce and delicious organics, many in supermarket sizes. BJ's is also the only major membership warehouse club to accept all manufacturers' coupons and, for greater convenience, offers the most payment options.
BJ's is wholly owned by affiliates of Leonard Green & Partners, CVC Capital Partners and its management team.
Founded in 2000 by a Bronx history teacher, DonorsChoose.org has raised over $500 million for America's classrooms. Teachers come to DonorsChoose.org to request the materials and experiences they need most for their classrooms, and donors give to the projects that inspire them. To date, 2.4 million people and partners have funded projects on the site, reaching 21 million students and making DonorsChoose.org the leading platform for supporting U.S. public schools. DonorsChoose.org is the only crowdfunding platform that vets each request, delivers materials directly to schools, and captures the impact of every funded project with photos, thank yous, and a cost report showing how each dollar was spent. In 2014, DonorsChoose.org made the top 10 of Fast Company's list of the World's Most Innovative Companies, the first time a charity has received such recognition.
SOURCE BJ's Wholesale Club